Are you thinking about shifting to a farmhouse sink or just replacing your old one? For those who are new to this, a traditional farmhouse sink is typically deeper compared with the modern sinks today. Whether it’s an under mount or top mount, its design allows you to have direct contact with the basin. This is what we mean when we say that you can stand directly in front of your sink’s front side. No cabinets or countertops in between, just you and your sink. So when it comes to functionality, this sink proves to be versatile. Back then, women used to give their babies a bath on this type of sink. When they’re not using it to prepare food or wash the dishes, they also use it to wash their clothes. Regardless of how you want to use yours, you can farmhouse sinks are made from different materials. It can also have different designs that can fit your needs. Now, be sure to stick with us if you really want to get the best farmhouse sink on the market today.
Top Farmhouse Sinks Reviews 2020
Kraus KHF200-33 Standart Pro Single-Bowl Stainless Steel Farmhouse Kitchen Sink
This Editor’s Choice from Kraus is a great option for heavy-duty use. It’s made from stainless steel and other materials that make it dent and wear-resistant. It’s hassle-free to clean though require high maintenance to keep it shiny. It’s also constructed with soundproofing technology to prevent making noises when something hits it including the running water. It also comes with free accessories like a protective bottom grid, Kraus kitchen towel, and a set of premium 3-piece basket strainer.
Features and Specifications:
- Weighs 37.7 pounds with 32.9 x 20.8 x 10 inches product dimension
- Industrial-grade T304 stainless steel makes it great for heavy-duty use
- Extra-thick TRU16 real 16 gauge steel gives it superior strength and durability
- Commercial grade satin finish makes it water-resistant and easier to clean
- NoiseDefend Soundproofing Technology with extra thick pads and non-toxic undercoating gives it an additional isolation
- Deep and spacious basin accommodates more dishes and bigger cookware like baking sheets
- Apron front style and under mount installation makes it easier to wipe off counter mess directly into it
- Rear-Set drain increases its workspace in the sink and storage space underneath
For those who are looking for an affordable farmhouse sink, this is the model we sincerely recommend. As our Editor’s Choice, it’s built to be indestructible and quiet when washing the dishes and using the garbage disposal. It’s basically a smart combination of function and style without escalating its price.
- Durable and resistant to future dents
- Fully-functional and easy to clean
- Thick pads cover more than 80% of its body to keep it soundproofed
- Fits in bigger cookware and a large amount of dishes in the basin
- Can get stained easily by abrasive food particles
- Requires high maintenance to remain scratch-free
- Lacks enough slope to the drain
Kraus KHF203-36 Standart Pro Double Bowl Stainless Steel Farmhouse Kitchen Sink
Another impressive farmhouse sink that is design and manufactured by Kraus, you can get this Budget Pick at only $400. It’s a statement piece that is simply hard to ignore with its shiny stainless steel. It has a satin finish and soundproofing technology that eliminates noise when something knocks on it. It’s also easy to clean to maintain its modern look with its stylish but functional design. Aside from offering a durable construction, it also comes with free accessories. Thus, it has 2 protective bottom grids, Kraus kitchen towel, drain assembly with strainer, and a 3-piece set of premium basket strainer.
Features and Specifications:
- Weighs 44.5 pounds with 35.9 x 20.8 x 10 inches product dimension
- Industrial-grade T304 stainless steel makes it perfect for heavy-duty use
- Extra-thick TRU16 genuine 16-gauge stainless steel gives it superior
- Commercial grade satin finish makes easier to clean and wear-resistant
- NoiseDefend Soundproofing Technology with thick pads and non-toxic undercoating eliminates the noise when it’s in use
- Deep bowl design provides a versatile workspace for washing your dishes and huge pots
- Elegant apron design provides a dramatic focal point that can enhance your kitchen
- Tight-Radius corners make it more functional and easier to clean
- Engineered grooves push water straight to the drain
When your budget is a hindrance when it comes to shopping the best items, review guides like ours are really handy. Ideal for budget-seekers, our Budget Pick model is indeed one of the most affordable options. Without sacrificing its quality, this model proves to be indestructible.
- Easy to clean and ideal for heavy-duty use
- Constructed with superior gauge steel to ensure its durability
- Soundproofed and coated by non-toxic insulation
- Fits up to 30 stacks of plates and a 12qt. stockpot
- The water takes longer to drain due to its bottom pitch
- Too delicate and prone to scratches
Whitehaven K-6427-7 Self-Trimming Smart Divide Under Mount Large/Medium Double-Bowl Kitchen Sink with Tall Apron
This Whitehaven farmhouse sink with an apron front comes with self-trimming edges. These edges only require a rough cut to the cabinetry during the installation. Its short apron front makes it a great replacement sink even without changing your current cabinets. It provides plenty of workspaces and low barrier that come in handy when soaking your oversize cookware. Most importantly, it’s made from Kohler’s enameled cast iron that doesn’t chip, burn, or crack which extends its lifespan.
Features and Specifications:
- Weighs 152 pounds with 35.7 x 21.6 x 9.6 inches product dimension
- Large/medium double-basin and a self-trimming apron style overlaps its cabinet face underneath
- Deep basin allows it to accommodate up to 20 stacks of plates and tall pots
- Smart Divide provides a low dividing barrier between its two basins to increase your workspace
- Basin slopes drive water towards its drain on each basin
- Offset drain increases its sink workspace and storage space in the cabinet underneath
- Includes cutout templates for its under mount installation
For those who are looking for the best sink replacement without changing their current cabinets, this is it. It’s not that deep compared with the typical farmhouse sink but it’s very spacious and stylish. It’s also resistant from being burned, cracked, and chipped which we find really appealing.
- Offers a more versatile and bigger workspace
- Specifically designed for an easier installation process for better results
- Minimizes water pooling with its basin that slopes toward its drains
- Too expensive
- Lack s faucet holes since it requires an under mount installation
Kraus KHF203-36-KPF1621-KSD30 Farmhouse Double Bowl Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink with High Arch Pull-Down Kitchen Faucet & Soap Dispenser
If you want a complete set of stainless steel farmhouse sink, faucet, and soap dispenser check this out. This package offers a complete set that can help you save time when shopping. At the same time, you can guarantee that each item is made from high-quality materials. Thus, it’s very cost-efficient and practical for budget-seekers.
Features and Specifications:
- Weighs 75.3 pounds with 35.9 x 20.8 x 10 inches product dimension
- Guarantees a premium 16-gauge T-304 stainless steel construction with commercial-grade satin finish
- Sound-insulated using thick tuber dampening pads and stone guard undercoating
- Heavy-duty and commercial-style faucet with a spring design and pre-rinse spray has up to 180° spout swivel
- Deep basins with channel grooves offer optimal drainage function for many years
- Kerox ceramic cartridge and rubber nozzles that prevent hard water build-up
- Prevents the build-up of hard water
- Stain and scratch-resistant
- Designed with high-performance/low flow neoperl aerator
- Made from lead-free brass construction guarantees your safety
- Some received a set that starts to develop stains and rust after a couple of years
KOHLER K-3944-3-NA Vault Self-Trimming Top Mount Double-Equal Stainless Steel Apron-Front Kitchen Sink
With clean lines that are combined with the traditional farmhouse style, this Kohler sink integrates both seamlessly. Its apron front style works with a wide range of kitchen spaces which proves its versatility. This handcrafted double-bowl sink is made from high-grade stainless steel to maximize its long lifespan. Since it has a top mount design, it’s faster to install on standard laminate countertops. Most importantly, it already has 3 faucet holes for hassle-free faucet installation.
Features and Specifications:
- Weighs 41 pounds with 35.8 x 24.3 x 9.3 inches product dimension
- Tight corners maximize the space in each basin while providing a contemporary look
- Premium 18-gauge stainless steel ensures its durability to last a lifetime
- Apron height allows it to fit into standard cabinets or existing standard cabinets
- Rear drain increases its workspace in the sink and storage space beneath
- Easier and faster to install with a self-trimming front apron style
- Includes installation hardware and compatibility template
- Absorbs sound and vibration to remain quiet when used
- Very delicate and easy to be scratched
- Requires more time and effort to clean
Adams K1A-1004ND Under Mount Single Bowl Farmhouse Apron Copper Sink
If you’re looking for a farmhouse sink that can complete your kitchen’s log cabin concept, this model might work. Due to its copper’s natural color, it can blend in easily with the wooden accent. At the same time, its handcrafted end result makes it more appealing and unique. Most importantly, its solid copper with the finest quality guarantees its ability to last a lifetime.
Features and Specifications:
- Weighs 50 pounds with 33 x 22 x 9 inches product dimension
- Handcrafted and hand-finished to make it a unique focal point in any kitchen
- 16 gauge commercial-grade solid copper with the finest quality has .063-.068 thickness
- Crafted with 30 x 19 inches single bowl with large capacity makes the cleanup easier
- Hammered apron front measures approximately 2.5 inches on all sides
- Helps clean any counter mess faster with ease
- Made from the finest pure solid copper materials that don’t turn green over time
- Accommodates large capacity of dishes and large cookware
- Too thin for its price
- Develops rings and stains over time when left with food or dishes for a long period
How to Choose the Best Farmhouse Sink?
Before you give in to the first farmhouse sink that you encounter, take time to read this guide first. The last thing you want is to waste your money on a sink that will make you regret later on. Besides, investing in a farmhouse sink is not like investing in a standard sink. You need to be a smarter buyer if you want to make the most of the money you invest. Thus, this guide will help you know how to choose the best farmhouse sink that can satisfy you for years. So, read on to learn more:
Consider its size.
The side of your farmhouse sink can affect the size of your countertop and cabinet where it should be installed. Some people may take a while when considering the size of the sink they want when undergoing a kitchen remodeling. Should you get a 30 inches sink or something bigger if you have enough space? Basically, 30 inches is already large enough but there’s nothing wrong with opting for a bigger if space permits. Getting a bigger size will help you fit in more dishes. A bigger sink also comes in handy when cleaning bigger pots and pans or filling them with water. This way, you can get on with your tasks with enough workspace. However, the size of your sink still depends whether you want a kitchen renovation or simply a sink replacement. If you’re planning for a replacement only, you have to base your sink’s size on your existing counter and cabinet. But if you want a renovation, you can be more flexible when it comes to selecting a size.
Consider your cabinet’s size below.
One of the most popular characteristics of a farmhouse sink is its deep basin. It’s one of the main reasons why customers opt for this kind of sink. However, its depth can also affect the size of your cabinet underneath it. The deeper your sink is, the smaller your cabinet can get since it will eat a lot of space. In this case, the depth of your sink will depend on your cabinet if simply want a replacement. But if you need a renovation, you can decide on the cabinet size and countertop based on your chosen sink. Regardless, the cabinet where your sink will sit on top should be a few inches bigger and not smaller.
Do you want a single or a double-bowl sink?
The next thing to decide on is your sink’s number of basin. Since there’s no existing standard when it comes to this aspect, it’s all up to your personal preference. Farmhouse basins can have a single or double-basins. If you want separate basins: one to fill with soapy water then another to rinse your dishes, get a double-basin.
But if you think that its size will be a problem when you soak your pan, get a single-basin. Whether you want a single or double-basin, make sure that it can give you enough space to accomplish its purpose.
How do you want it to be installed?
Most farmhouse sinks are installed as an under mount which can allow you to clean up your counter more efficiently. You can simply wipe up the counter’s mess right into your sink which makes the job faster. A top mount installation may work prevent some splash from messing your counter too much. However, its jutted parts won’t allow you to wipe up your counter’s mess directly into the sink. Thus, cleaning your counter with a top mount farmhouse sink may take more time and effort. Anyway, this is simply based on our experience so the final decision is still up to you.
Choose the kind of finish you prefer.
The best farmhouse sinks come in different kinds of finish to fit the diverse taste of customers. To help you decide on which one fits your taste and preference, check out how they differ from each other:
- Fireclay – from modern to traditional kitchen concepts, a fireclay finish can blend in smoothly. It’s also the most popular option on the market due to its timeless beauty. Typically, it’s available with the simple and flat front side but modern versions today include fluted aprons and raised front lips.
- Stainless – this normally gives a modern look to kitchens whether it has an exposed apron design or enclosed by its cabinet. Its most common designs include straight and defined lines that are perfect for any industrial setting and modern kitchen.
- Copper – compared with the first two kinds, copper farmhouse sinks come with more intricate designs due to its natural flexibility. With natural metals, manufacturers offer this finish with either smooth or hammered but detailed designs. Its classic designs that can be seen on its apron front include wildflowers, basket weave motifs, and grape vines.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a farmhouse sink costs?
Most farmhouse sinks are available for as low as $400 and could be as high as $1,000 or more. Some models could even cost $2,000 while others can be available in less than $400. Regardless, this price range just shows that investing in a farmhouse sink really needs serious decision making. You may fall in love with its looks as the statement in your kitchen but it comes with a huge cost.
Can it help prevent falls and breaks?
Thanks to the popular design of farmhouse sinks, you can reduce the risk of breaking your precious collections. Its depth can help you avoid breakages and nasty cuts every time you accidentally drop your dishes. If you prefer a single-basin sink, you can use it like a double-basin sink by placing 2 containers inside. Thus, you can soak your dishes on soapy water then rinse them on the other container.
Do you have to lean over while doing the dishes?
Since farmhouse sinks typically have an apron design, you don’t need to lean over too much like on other sinks. It’s much closer so you can do the dishes easier as long as you know how to deal with sprays. In this case, be sure to wear a waterproof apron whenever you’re washing the dishes.
Is it easy to maintain?
The maintenance of your farmhouse sink depends on its finish. Fireclay finish requires less maintenance since it can resist scratches, stains, and harsh cleaners. Moreover, those food particles that can leave stains can be wiped away easily on fireclay sinks. When it comes to stainless steel sinks, you can clean it in a circular motion using mild abrasive cleaners. Never leave steel utensils on it for a long time and keep it dry to prevent stains and water spots.
A farmhouse sink is no doubt one of the best types of sinks to invest on. It’s a kitchen statement that brings back the days when traditional farmhouse sinks were used even before faucets were invented. It’s very spacious that you can use it for more things aside from preparing foods and washing the dishes. You can use it to wash your clothes and to give your baby a refreshing bath. Thus, it’s really a versatile sink that is worth to invest on no matter how expensive it is. Just be sure to communicate it with your plumber and cabinet/countertop contractor to make sure that your sink fits perfectly.